View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bratnik

Welcome, Kopfan. It's great that you found this, it has been a saving grace for me for the past 17 days.

I agree with the other posters. Saying "I can never drink again" is a verrry overwhelming thing to say to yourself. Accepting that you have a problem/are an alcoholic is a big step. I tried many times before to quit and the times when I obsessing about the finality of it all - the "what ifs" and "how will I's" - I became so overwhelmed.

Reading lots of posts here gives me alot of tools to stash away. One of my favorites is "I will not drink today". And every day that you say that, you have the next morning of waking up and feeling a little clearer, a little healthier, rested, and looking better. Every day that you have those rewards you feel more benefits of not drinking! I have a looooong way to go but these are things that have helped me get through each day of being awake. Getting through this, one day at a time, breaks up the challenge and each day is a new reward instead of planning on how to deal with the rest of my life.

Just some 2 cents from a newbie. Stick around - there is so much support and great advice from everyone.