View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zanido1991

Maybe I believe in the "soulmate" type of situation because of my past. I had a high school boyfriend for three years. He broke up with me two months after I had my daughter. I was eighteen. I raised her for five years and busted my butt doing it. When she was five, he took me to court for custody. He won because all that time he wasn't raising our daughter, he had time to go to school, get a great job, get married and hire a great lawyer. I was a single mom, minimum wage job, and no lawyer. We fought eachother viciously in court over several years. When my daughter was eighteen, she texted me that her father had pancreatic cancer stage four. I felt soo sick when I read that. All my anger and frustration melted away. I realized that part of the reason that we had fought eachother so hard is that we still had the ability to hurt eachother, which meant our relationship never really died. He passed away a few short months later. I cried everyday for over a year. One day I woke up and I didn't cry, the next day I didn't cry, he was a part of my life, my daughter, and in fact part of what made up who I am today. This has nothing to do with alcoholism. He was not an alcoholic. Just a guy who made terrible mistakes and it took the ending of his life for him to admit them. That is why I believe in the concept of a soulmate or destiny if you will. I cried out to God everynight, wished on stars, and begged for answers when my daughter had to go with him. But he will never see her marry, see his grandchildren, etc. I think there is a plan and we may not always get it, but thats not our job. Our job is to try to be the best person we can be and if at the end of the day we can look ourselves in the eye and know that, we are ok.