Thread: Day 9
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lisa888

Hi Again,
You were asking about how to stop obsessing, this should just be temporary, I hope. I felt that way at first too, obsessing about not drinking, work, AA meetings, etc. It is overwhelming. I also had a lot of "drinking dreams" too, which can be freaky and scary. Usually they are bad and I wake up and I am re-affirmed why I had to stop.

Funny thing I wanted to share with you is that lately I have caught myself saying this a lot "well, I'm not really going to worry about it" and I don't. I used to worry about EVERYTHING. I am not sure what is happening, but I like it. I have heard a lot of the women in my AA meetings say they "feel really wierd" and I do too. I think it's because being sober, happy, and peaceful is so foreign to us.

For me being sober has brought an equilibrium to my life, a far cry from the extreme ups and downs when I drank. I have realized that I always let external things and people dictate how I felt. Now I seem to be able to just go with the flow and I don't worry about what other people are doing or saying so much. It's nice to actually be in true control of myself.

I used to think I could drink like a "normal" person again too once I had a few months of sobriety under my belt, but all it did was lead me back to hell. I hope you can find a group that makes you feel comfortable and gives you strength to stay sober.