View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 01:41 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
shadesofgray

Papa Nico, I hear you.. tensions with family led me to drink many times. One thing that helped me greatly in deciding to quit (not that I am a paragon of anything, being on day 2) was reading Edward Khantzian's books - he explains pretty well the dynamics related to drinking as a "solution" to underlying psychological tensions, and once I started framing my habit in terms of a palliative remedy to stuff that might be solved without killing myself in the process I found new motivation. This said, I second the poster who said that it's a journey, not a destination - don't waste any time feeling ashamed of yourself, just pick yourself up and try again, we all make mistakes and we will make mistakes over and over again, but we're still trying and that's what counts.

My first sober night wasn't particularly exciting, I woke up after some 5 hours of sleep because the air conditioning made the room too cold (something I never noticed when sleeping the booze off), then I couldn't settle so now I'm feeling pretty battered. Off for a day at the lake with two friends, which is going to include a dry lunch - I kind of cringe at the thought, of course I wish I could have a bottle of wine and sleep it off on the waterfront, but I'm absolutely NOT going to do that. Well, the sleeping sounds like a good idea, but the drinking doesn't. Talk to y'all later!