View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CherryD

Anyone else the child of an addict?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I had no idea where to put this. If it's wrong close this and I'll repost in the right place. I really don't want to create problems for the mods.

So my dad has been using for as long as I can remember. He definitely has a problem. I can't remember him ever being not high, he'd buy a 12 pack of beer every night. He excuses it as being an old hippie and getting high is just what they do. I've been using just about anything I can get my hands on since I was 11. He thinks it's cute and funny that I stole from his marijuana stash back then. His favorite story is how he accidentally got me drunk when I was 7. (Those red plastic cups half had lemonade and the other half had beer. I grabbed and chugged the wrong the cup). When I started to get into crystal he ignored it and pretended like nothing was wrong. Even after I got the cops got called on me for a meth psychosis induced assault. He ignores me and refuses to think that anything is wrong.

I've got a year off crystal but I replaced it with drinking and adderall. Which according to him is no problem because me being on the crystal was never a problem to begin with. Also if you ask him alcoholism is a fake problem that doctors made up so they could make money. And my adderall was a prescription so it's the doctors fault I have a problem with it. They're only goal is to make money because I'm hooked on it. (my dad's words not mine)

Tonight I saw him for the first time in a month. Invited him over for dinner and told him I was trying to be sober. He showed up high and brought a 6 pack. Said it was artisan beer so it didn't count as alcohol. Then when I didn't drink he came to the conclusion that I was pregnant (I'm not) and he's refusing to believe anything else.

This is a repost from the june 2011 class. But I don't want to clog that thread up with my daddy issues. I just don't know what to do with him. My MIL has even screamed at him that he's a horrible father. But he's the only family I have. I want him to support me with getting myself healthy. That's what parents are supposed to do right?

Sorry I know this has probably been posted a zillion times and it's stupid. But I needed to get this out and ask for help for what to do with my dad.