Old 06-18-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by Dano1975 View Post
Is it still possible for me to work the program?
You can go to AA meetings, and you can be 'in AA' with no further effort than a desire to stop drinking, which clearly you have. Many people do just that and nothing else.

'Working the program', or taking the actions that others in AA have found necessary to recover from alcoholism, has some requirements. One of those requirements, in Step 2, is a willingness to believe in something greater than you. The only reason that I became willing to believe in something greater than me, was because I was convinced (through my own experience) that I could not stay sober for long.

About half the original AA members came to AA as either agnostics or atheists. I came in as a staunch atheist who thought the idea of a higher power was a crutch for weak-minded people. But I was badly enough beaten down, and hopeless and desperate enough, to do anything to recover.

People in AA recover as the result of a spiritual awakening from taking the 12 Steps. Like you, I had zero interest in that concept. But that desperation, and my repeated failures, fueled a willingness.

That 'higher power' is left to your own understanding. It need not be anything other than what makes sense to you personally.