View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ADaisyifyoudo

Therapists

I think the big problem I've had with therapists is that they are just human like the rest of us, and can be fooled or charmed! I talked to a therapist several months ago and basically told her that I was convinced that I was a high functioning alcoholic, that I used alcohol as a coping mechanism, and that I needed to build some different behavioral responses in order to be physically and mentally healthy.

In a nutshell she said something to the effect of if I thought alcohol was a problem then I should stop drinking but that I seemed very self-aware and that it was unlikely I was an alcoholic. I was very well educated about the problem (and I work in the medical field) and basically talked her into thinking I was fine even though I had started off telling her that I drank to excess on a regular basis.

I am sure there are great therapists out there that would see through my ******** and call me on it, but I haven't found one. . .and of course, I'd have to be willing to not feed him/her the crap in the first place too.

It's very, very hard. I am on day 17, first time I've really tried to stop drinking for real. I worry that I this won't be my only time. Tonight's going to be hard.