View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I tell my therapist it is only 3-6 and that it is not really an issue. I am embarrassed, which means I have a problem.

Your therapist probably thinks what you told him is inaccurate.

As a rule of thumb, a lot of professionals believe that when someone tells you how much they do something, if it's a negative behavior, then double what the person tells you.

If it's a positive behavior, cut the amount they told you in half.
I don't know. I think it depends. My therapist believed everything I told her. When we were finished working together she thanked me for my candor and sincerity. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry because I had not always been totally candid or sincere with her. I was good at hiding the things I didn't want her to know. What a waste of money and time!

I mean maybe she assumed I drank more than I told her but if so she never suggested I do anything about it until at the twelth hour I told her I was worried that I had a problem. And not knowing enough about the extent of the problem I think she was a little confused.

But I wasn't honest with her so that I could tell myself, see, my therapist thinks I'm fine. She doesn't recommend I change a thing when it comes to drinking. I see that now.