View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LoftyIdeals
SoberOutlook

Ww/God...my thoughts are with you. I also gave it up for Lent, as I often had before. Last time, I made it 20 days, this time 30 days. Today, I'm on Day 3 again. I've wrestled with alchoholism for 25 yrs. Don't wait for the problem to grow any further. I've lost a lot, not my family, but I'm 48 and my business has been failing for the last year or two. Thank God for my wife's income, or we'd be the poor people you picture.

Alcoholism knows no social status. Skid row alcoholics are real, but at the bitter end. Many had been successful before. But, the movie depictions sometimes leave out the rest of us; professionals, lawyers, doctors, businessmen. There is no discrimination. There are many sources available in books to learn more about the disease. When I was in rehab, I learned that it is both inherent; i.e., genetic; and environmental; i.e., learned. Everyones road is different. You owe it to yourself and your family to learn your unique propensities for alcoholism. If you go on AA.org, there is a list of questions to help you assess, as well as much other information. It's a great organization, but I don't attend meetings. There are other organizations, smart recovery, for one.

I wish you the best in your pursuit of sobriety. I know, having had a 1.5 yr stint once, that there are many rewards, but you must see alcohol for what it is... a poison to people like you and me. We just need to learn to cope differently, that's all. And to not drink the first drink.

Welcome to SR! I hope