Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
outtolunch

Originally Posted by Daniela977 View Post
The way I feel right now I can't even describe. He says this was a wake up call and that he wants to stop doing any kind of drugs. What he doesn't say yet is that he will definitely go to a program, get counseling, etc. He's saying IF he goes he would go to this place or that place. But he also says he knows he can just stop and never touch anything again. He has the best of intentions right now but I know that he needs support in this. What should I do? I want HIM to want this so I don't want to say he NEEDS to go NA. I only suggested it. What should my role be in all this now?? I'm feeling so scared and lost but I want to do the right things and not to anything wrong in this critical turning point of his.
He's into denial, right now and believes he can control the drug. Sadly, near ODs usually become a right of passage into the big leagues.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to make him stop or cause him to use. You are not that powerful. None of us are.

If it's acceptable to continue to live with someone in active addiction, please take action to protect your credit, money and valuables. It's probably hard to imagine that it will likely become necessary to separate your assets from his and secure your money and jewelry if you have anything of value, including your wedding ring. Take some time and read the stories. So many here have lost everything, including their homes due to someone else's addiction.

And lastly, double up on the ole birth control. Impending parenthood does not cure addiction.

Addiction is horrible and progressive. Remember, you can get off this roller coaster anytime you want to do so.