Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

Originally Posted by Daniela977 View Post
He's saying IF he goes he would go to this place or that place. But he also says he knows he can just stop and never touch anything again.

I want HIM to want this so I don't want to say he NEEDS to go NA. I only suggested it. What should my role be in all this now??
Hi Daniela,

Welsome to SR! I'm sorry you find yourself in this position. As a person in recovery, I would strongly suggest that you educate yourself on addiction. Naranon is a great place to start.

The sad truth is that addiction thrives on self-delusion. His statements "IF he goes..." "can just stop..." are pure BS, whether he knows it or not. He's an addict, this is no longer about choice, and probably hasn't been for a very long time. Until he comes to the conclusion that he has to stop or will die, he will not seriously try to stop (and even then, he may not be able to). Based on his belief that he can stop anytime, the OD in the kitchen doesn't sound like he's done using. As the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

What you need to consider is the very real possibility that this is only the beginning of the insanity. If you read through the forums here, you will find lots of stories that start in a similar fashion, and for some of those stories the posts go on for YEARS. The problem is, these aren't stories, they are not fiction - they are lives.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, that is for you to decide. But before you make you make decisions as to what you are willing to do and how far you are willing to stick this out, you need to know for real what it is you are dealing with. You will see the term "co-dependent" alot on SR. In my opinion, its root is the same as that of addiction: self-delusion. Self-delusion can cause you as much pain as your husbands will do to him.

My prayers go out to you and your husband.