Thread: Tools
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
booksnlattes

Still thinking about this post! Tools are critical, are they not?? Anything that puts the focus on us and our recovery.

I went to the doc this morning for the first time in about 5 years. I don't need to tell anyone how much we neglect taking care of ourselves while in the "crazy place" with our addicts. I'm ready to take care of myself, now. I need to lose a lot of weight and start "feeling" my feelings instead of "stuffing" them with food.

So my new summer project involves creating a binder filled with family-friendly recipes/meal ideas. I want to try a couple new recipes every week. The kids (teens) know about the project, and they're excited to have "voting" nights at the dinner table. :-) I'm revamping some old recipes to be more healthful, and I'm searching high and low on the internet for new recipes to try.

I really like cooking, but it was the last thing I wanted to think about when the house was constantly in crisis. Dinners were crap. Pizza. Carry-out. Anything quick, easy and less than healthy. Now that I've learned how to set boundaries and control what happens in my house, life is better. So I want to start cooking again!

Planning meals again... experimenting with recipes... working on a family meal book... This is one of my new tools to stay in recovery and start thinking about myself... and the health of my household, too.

I hope this thread keeps going. :-)