Thread: Bummer
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Bummer

My older son (24) has always had "issues". He's always been immature for his age (though EXTREMELY bright, reads stuff I can barely understand and discuss it intelligently). He's had bouts of depression and social anxiety--when he was a young teenager (living with Dad) he was put on Paxil and had a manic reaction, causing him to do something that resulted in a year in a group home. He's been on various meds from time to time, but always quits taking them because he's "better"--thinks talk therapy does no good, yada yada. (The talk therapy seemed to help him a lot when he was in the group home.) His Dad and I have thought that he might even have a mild case of Asperger's (though he's never been diagnosed with that--just our take on his personality).

He's always drifted in and out of school, has never held a job longer than several months. He's about to get his Associate's Degree (just general studies)--his Dad and I quit paying for school because he doesn't seem to be able to settle down and commit to it. He doesn't have any serious substance abuse issues--he does the odd pot-smoking and partying on occasion, but he's fairly responsible about it.

His Dad (my first husband, sober 31 years) is a bit of an enabler, as is his stepmom. Both are wonderful, kind people, but I think they have supported him way beyond what is good for him. Of course, they all live in a different State, and I am not the one who has to deal with the fallout of "tough love" so I offer my opinion, respectfully, but do my best to stay out of his relationship with them. What arrangements they make are their business.

ANYWAY, several months ago kiddo and his g/f (who is divorced and has a 3 y/o) moved into their own apartment. He was working for Auto Zone driving a delivery truck. We had our fingers crossed that he this might actually be good for him, force him to grow up and be a bit more responsible. His Dad is still paying a few bills, I was able to add him back onto my health plan (until he turns 26). So a month or so ago he decided to take a new job, working for a carpet cleaning company. It paid better, better hours, etc. So I just got an email from his Dad, telling me that the new job let him go--the only explanation was it "wasn't a good fit." G/f doesn't work right now, though I believe she had done childcare in the past.

For some reason, this situation has me MAJORLY bummed out. I am really worried about him--sometimes it is just so hard to see him ever having a happy, productive life. I know I can't make it all better for him. I also know I have to trust that his life will go on and maybe this is what it will take for him to grow up a little more. He is a good kid, just so damned GOAL-less. He has zero patience. Years ago he got his EMT certification (something I think he would be GREAT at), but when he didn't get a job right away, he gave up. He just gives up when things don't go his way right away. He says now it would be "too much work" to brush up enough to get a job in the field, and "there aren't any jobs anyway." He is eternally pessimistic, and when he does get excited about something, it's usually something completely unrealistic.

I guess I am just venting here. I will give him a few days to process all this before I call him. I'm sure he is feeling incredibly put-upon--life is being UNFAIR and his employers are all probably STUPID.

Yeesh.