Thread: hi there
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ajangel

Originally Posted by smithnd0 View Post
hi there. I'm new and I don't exactly know what I'm doing, but some looking around will help :
I've tried to get sober before but I think I've hit bottom. I spent the day shaking and puking, but it's the first time in months I have not had a drink to cure the shakes.
I'm a little nervous but looking forward to joining the community.
Welcome. You have come to the right place. Everyone here is very helpful. Congratulations on deciding to take that first step. It is going to be hard and a bit scary but you can do it. First and foremost, if you can, avoid doing this without medical attention. I finally went to my doctor and he prescribed me a low dose benzodiazepine. This was the only thing that got me through the tremendous withdraws. It may not be right for you, but your doctor can help you go in the right direction. I was embarrassed to say anything to him but was very pleased by his encouragement and compassion. It takes a lot of courage to admit you have a problem and ask for help. Keep coming to this site. It is a great source of strength and encouragement.