View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
akrasia

Whether she goes to AlAnon or a counsellor or something, that's up to her, really. All you can do is acknowledge that she deserves support and let her find what works for her.

In the meantime, here are some specific things you can do:

1. A "thanks" is nice--but don't overdo it with thanking her all the time, because then it's yet again all about you.

2. Don't talk about the AA or your sobriety process too much around her. Your recovery isn't her responsibility. Sure, a brief check-in is fine, but don't go on and on (and you know what I mean). She's got a life too. Which brings me to:

3. Encourage her and help her do fun/inspiring things, the things that make her happy. You know better than I what those are. Does she have a book group? Does she like gardening? Karate? Swing dance? See what small, practical things you can do to help her enjoy them: maybe you'll "just happen" to find a flyer for a new book group, or you could offer to help her build a new raised bed in the garden.

Caveat: DON'T SAY "Now I'm going to help you do all the things you couldn't do when you were busy wiping up after me, boo hoo hoo." Don't make a production out of it. Just DO them in a cheerful, low-key way.

4. Listen to her. Being forced into the role of caretaker is really dehumanising, and now you can help her become a real person around you by just listening. Ask her about the book she's reading, or what's happened at work, and then just sit quietly as she answers. Use those active listening things, like, "Oh, it sounds like that one client is a jerk!" Let her surprise you. Laugh at her jokes.

Caveat: Again, DON'T make a big deal of "NOW I AM GOING TO LISTEN TO YOU BECAUSE IT'S PART OF MY AA JOURNEY. TELL ME SOMETHING DEEP AND PROFOUND RIGHT NOW!" Just do it in a low-key, casual way. Then it'll become a habit.