View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
skippernlilg
Skipper

Naw, you can't detach from yourself but you can detach from those negative feelings. Now, it's ok to feel the appropriate, real feelings, and you should process through those legitimate feelings of sadness and loss of a 'normal' life. However,...

Comparing yourself to someone else is a surefire way of heading you down to Negative Road. See if you can do something that is guaranteed to make you smile.

At the first part of my recovery as an Alanoid was to make a list of those positive things I can do so that I may refer to same list when my brain feels lost:

I will share:

1. Declare Nerf Wars with my son. We will run around shooting spongy darts at each other and laughing our heads off.

2. Or, on a hot day like today, Declare Water Balloon war. Yes, he will be defeated!

3. Grab my "Courage to Change" book and give myself 10 minutes to meditate on today's message. (also, grabbing my Bible works)

4. A nice relaxing soak in the tub while listening to Lyle Lovett or Eric Clapton. Sometimes another musical guest in my bathroom works just as good.

5. A funny clip on Youtube like "Charlie Bit my Finger" or a comedian. Sometimes watching the "Annoying Orange" with my son makes me giggle.

...ok, since I started several months ago, I have about 100 things on my list. If one doesn't tickle my fancy at the moment, I move on to the next one. I've plagarized several ideas straight from this site!!

Go on, do it. See if it works for you.