View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Intense
Paused

Definition of Alcoholism

Hi,
I am wondering if someone that drinks most days, but doesn't care if he gets to or not is an alcoholic? My husband was a major pothead in deep deep denial about his 5+ bowl a day habit and how it was affecting our family, but I left him for a while and he did stop.

Fast forward 4 years, he now drinks a few after work, at work before he comes home, I don't really have any way of knowing how much he drinks other than the fact that he gets sick after like 4, so I am pretty sure he is only having 1 or 2. This happens most days he works and he works 6 days a week, on the nights he comes home before dinner he usually doesn't drink.

A few times a year he will come home totally plowed and get sick all over himself and our car, but other than that its just this drinking at the end of the work day thing that has me worried. He never buys alcohol to drink at home though. Just around other people.

Anyway I guess I was just curious how to draw the line or where the "alcoholism" thing comes into play. I drink at the most once a month, but its always really insane amounts and I can't control it at all, so who is the alcoholic?

Is it possible he isn't and I am? Or is he working on it, his dad was like this and gradually the drinking eclipsed the not drinking and he was just a drinker full time. I also saw my own dad do this, the one after work crap, then soon its 3, and then a half rack etc.

I really don't know much about this stuff, so if anyone wants to weigh in or tell me how it is I would appreciate all opinions.