View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
skippernlilg
Skipper

For my bio-father and my recent live-in partner, I found out that the reason a 12-step program is so helpful for the alcoholic is not necessarily the quitting drinking part. It helps them learn to live sober. Taking their sobriety to a whole new level and learning to live life to its fullest is the value of AA.

My boyfriend chose to do what your AH is trying to do now. Sure, he quit drinking. But, he still lived the behavior of an alcoholic (a dry drunk). Pretty soon, it was too overwhelming for him, and he started drinking again. He has since moved out, and he has communicated with me occasionally. He is miserable. I think if he finds AA, he may find his salvation. That's up to him.

For my side of the road, I have been attending Al-anon, reading Al-anon books, and getting a closer relationship with my HP. I feel healthy and like I'm on the right path now. Getting my physical health back to normal has been a challenge. It now looks like we have the right balance of health going forward in my home.

I wish you peace.