View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Originally Posted by defyinggravity View Post
However, before that happens, I would like to clarify my intent with this - which was to describe addiction in a way that refutes the idea that it's "weakness" or "lack of self control" rather than some kind of biological process (disease, illness, whatevs). I would also like to say that I understand the point of view that it doesn't matter what you call it to fight it...but I think that FOR SOME PEOPLE it in fact CAN be important to try to define your condition. !
May I suggest that much of the confusion may result from assuming that the concepts of alcoholism as due to "weakness" or "lack of self control" and alcoholism as due to "some kind of biological process (disease, illness, whatever)" may not be mutually exclusive? Alcoholism may be viewed as a complex condition, partly due to genetic abnormalities, metabolic allergies and the like and partly due to to personality characteristics, including compulsive-obsessive behavior, attraction to risk taking, shyness, egocentricity, perfectionism, dependence on others, susceptibility to peer pressure, and so on. In addition there may be cultural factors, such as a family history ("cocktails" as an evening ritual), drug infested neighborhoods, parental neglect and abuse. Finally, the condition may be accompanied or follow symptomatically from psychiatric conditions, such as bipolar or depression.And prolonged drinking may result in physical changes in the body, particularly in the brain and in the nervous system.
Thus the "disease or not disease" debate may be a result of oversimplifying this very complex condition which we call alcoholism.
The unfortunate thing is that the debate tends to result in angry exchanges, often of a personal nature. To the extent this happens, this is counterproductive to achieving recovery.

W.

Last edited by wpainterw; 05-30-2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: typo