View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by cin0918 View Post
I have been doing a lot of reading about living with an alcoholic. I am at the point where I can not take it anymore. He makes me crazy! He is never mean, just a blubbering idiot with idiot friends who are all drunks.
You'll take as much as you need to, as will he. May be helpful to remember that he can't 'make' you anything without your permission.

Thing is, when he is not drinking, he is the most amazing and loving man I have ever met. I just can't take the weekend stupidity anymore. I want a normal life.
Yeah, maybe he is, but you have to buy the whole package. Which would include the 'weekend stupidity'. That stupidity will become more frequent, btw.

I am well aware that I can not make him change, only he can do that. I have decided that I am going to stop enabling him though.
What is it you are supposed to do to stop enabling?
Depends. You may have to walk away from the relationship to stop enabling him. In any event, try to keep in mind, there's nothing you can do about it, you've already told him how you feel about his drinking, all you really needed to do. He'll drink/not drink regardless of anything you do/don't do.

How do you want your life to look?