View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cin0918

Want to stop Enabling

I have been dating an alcoholic for about a year and a half. He has in the past admitted that he has a problem and stopped drinking, only to start again. Except this time, he only drinks on the weekends, so he fails to see that as a problem. He consumes approximately 15-20 beers in about a 10 hour time span and I am really afraid he is going to kill himself!

I have been doing a lot of reading about living with an alcoholic. I am at the point where I can not take it anymore. He makes me crazy! He is never mean, just a blubbering idiot with idiot friends who are all drunks.

Thing is, when he is not drinking, he is the most amazing and loving man I have ever met. I just can't take the weekend stupidity anymore. I want a normal life.

I am well aware that I can not make him change, only he can do that. I have decided that I am going to stop enabling him though. I have read many articles online that say if you make them responsible for their own behavior and actions and they have to face all the consequences on their own, they will sometimes get the picture. And, I feel that this could take a lot of stress off of me.

What I'm not sure of, is what exactly am I supposed to stop doing? If anyone has done this, or has ideas for me, I would greatly appreciate it. None of the articles I have read were very specific as to what to do. they all said to stop cleaning up their messes, don't cover for them, etc. But, I don't really do any of that. I did stop driving him to his friends house (because he doesn't drive), but now he just has them come pick him up. So, I don't know if that did any good.

Am I supposed to simply not acknowledge his presence when he is drinking? What is it you are supposed to do to stop enabling?