View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

Welcome implosion.
I did lose my job because of drinking and by the next week had an appt. at an addiction clinic. Then the following Thursday I ran to AA. Did a 6 week rehab and continue in AA when work schedule allows.
I had tried to quit my 30 year drinking addiction for (countless) years...always started with a day one and ended up floating upstream on whiskey river. It finally took a marriage separation and my own will and desire and realization that I was an alcoholic and really, I mean really, needed to get out of my alcoholic box and face the world.
I did it and am happy to report I've been sober since January (4 months yesterday), have a new job that I just took a supervisor test after being employed for one month and have a nice (rented) house living happily and soberly. But it just takes taking that one step...although it feels like a leap at first...it is small steps that will eventually lead you on your journey into sobriety.
I have been asked to drink, or go bowling and sit at the bar...I plainly say I don't drink and people are fine with that. There are people that don't drink. I didn't realize that 4 months ago! LOL
I'm so glad you came out and admitted you need more help...AA is great and all my real friends are there now. And this site is just awesome.
Wishing you peace and strength.