View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Jackie))) - I can only tell you MY experience. Alcohol is not my "thing"...I'm a recovering crack addict.

I did quit, for a greater part of a year, but was soon dabbling back with the crack, maybe once a month, until it got more frequent and turned into a full-blown relapse.

I can't maintain my recovery without the help of other RA's. I did go to meetings, no longer go, but have a slew of friends I've made on here, friends and family who had let me fall on my face, figure a way to get back up, and are now very supportive as I'm working recovery.

I believe boundaries work better (at least in my case) than ultimatums. Such as "I will not continue to be around you if you continue drinking" and then sticking TO that boundary. The fact that he focused on your spending money, tells me, he's still looking for an "out". You spend money on anything (even groceries) and he'll say "see? You're still spending money, I can still drink". With my first XABF#1 (yeah, I've had 3 - slow learner), I would do what he'd ask, and he'd find something ELSE that I'd have to do before he put down the drink. It never ended.

An A who isn't ready for recovery can find anything as an excuse to drink. Good weather? drink, bad weather? drink, rough day at work? drink. Or as ((Dee)) said "any day that ended in a Y was an excuse to drink". You say something he doesn't like? drink. When he is truly ready for recovery, he will work it as if his life depends on it (it does) and will do it for himself because he really, really wants it.

The best thing for YOU to do, IMO, is find a good al-anon group, keep reading/posting here, and figure out what it is that you want from life and what is possible. You may WANT the marriage to work out, but it may not if he's not going to work at being a healthy partner. I've never been to al-anon, but have gotten a wealth of support and ES&H (experience, strength, and hope) from here. I do believe that extra f2f support can help, in that you get real-life hugs, phone numbers to call when you're having a hard time, and people that "get" what you're going through. We can live full and happy lives, despite what they are doing, it just takes some work on ourselves to get it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy