View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Antiderivative

Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
Well than maybe you can explain why you say that you want to take a look at the history of the disease concept and then only mention a single AA members involvement on it. That clearly implies that it began with AA.
No, it doesn't. I also said that Smithers was a philanthropist. You could arrive the same faulty conclusion that the modern day disease concept originated with philanthropy. Instead, you want to twist my words, only see what you want to see, act in a dishonest manner, and pick a fight with me.

Your post is clearly dishonest and follows in a very subtle manner the dishonesty of the standard anti AA nonsense.
The one who is being dishonest and playing games is you. Marty Mann played a vital role in the disease concept. If you want to get all hot and bothered over this, then so be it. She also took it as an outside issue. Her intention was to get the medical community to view alcoholism as a disease, not necessarily to promote science, but remove the stigma associated with alcoholism.

If someone doesn't want this AA stuff legitimately that's fine. But lying to them, lying to people that are in a fight for their lives is a terrible thing to do.
Once again, AA doesn't subscribe to the medical disease concept. Disease is used as a metaphor. This is not a lie, this is the truth. However, you are the one lying and twisting and claiming that AA subscribes to the medical disease terminology as stated in the AMA guidelines. They don't.

If you want to believe that you have a medical disease, then go seek medical attention. AA's view on it is that it is an illness, a malady, or a spiritual disease. Why you are fighting me tooth and nail on this is beyond me.

I have had enough of your twisting, distorting, name calling, and logical fallacies. If you honestly believe that you have a medical condition, then go seek medical help. AA does not offer medical help.

Out of the thousand plus meetings I have attended, I have never lied to a newcomer and pushed them out of the rooms of AA. I don't even talk about the disease concept in meetings since it is an outside issue. I know that alcoholism is deadly. I know that it is real. However, I simply do not believe it to be a disease in the medical sense and a large part of this belief stems from a historical understanding.