View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sandrawg

Many of us loved alcoholics, tried to get them to seek help by every means we could think of, to no avail.

No one will get help unless they're ready and that's a personal thing-each alcoholic who gets help experiences a "bottom." They have to experience horrible consequences, usually, like losing their family, job or home. Even then, many do not get help and way too many just DIE from the disease. No one can say which one your mom will be, I'm sorry to say.

Many of us, including me, walked away from the alcoholic in our lives because your'e right, it is HORRIBLE watching someone you love destroy themselves. We could no longer do it.

Al-anon, 1st step: we are powerless against another person's alcoholism.

Have you been to an al-anon meeting yet? For many of us, it was the only way to recover. You are the only person you can control or change. Focus on you.

Originally Posted by CheekyAngel View Post
Okay, last post i made i forgot i was aking medical question so im not putting anything like that into this. But how can you help an alcoholic who is sick but wont help themselves? I know she is sick and i was with her yesterday and it kills me to watch her go thru this. She is so stubbern and its truely fustrating coz i want her to get help, but it seems she doesnt want to help herself.
She said to me the other day, i know deep down there i something seriously medically wrong - well then if you know this they why the f wont you get yourself seen to. Is there really nothing else i can do for her? Is this it? I have said my peice and pleaded with her...but i cant watch her health get worse anymore. She is killing herself and i am watching this happen. I feel that i should be doing more but dunno what other options i have. I know deep down there isnt much i can do, but its not nice to watch someone you love detereate.
I know what might happen in the end but im the only one she has ever really listened to in the past (a little listening she took in) and i feel its my responcibility to do something. But is there really nothing i can do? I know the answer already, its just hard.