View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lillamy

I like that. I like the reframing of the dream in a new context. That quote made me think of one I read in a book by Deb Caletti, "The Secret Life of Prince Charming" (really a young adult novel, but well worth reading for people who've been in dysfunctional relationships):

I want to rewrite that part of the Bible, I don’t know what it’s called, I’m not a big Bible person. Corinthians something. The one that goes, “Love is patient, love is kind,” et cetera, et cetera. Not that there isn’t good things in it. But I remember there’s a part in there that says there should be no end to love’s faith and endurance. And sometimes there should be an end. We need to call a halt and not persist in some grand hope of some grand love. Some people are not capable of love. Of maintaining a relationship. It’s sad, but it’s true.

So: Love is ease, love is comfort, love is support and respect. Love is not punishing or controlling. Love lets you grow and breathe. Love’s passion is only good passion – swirling-leaves-on-a-fall-day passion, a-sky-full-of-magnificent-stars passion – not angst and anxiety. Love is not hurt and harm. Love is never unsafe. Love is sleeping like puzzle pieces. It’s your own garden you protect; it’s a field of wildflowers you move about in both freely and together.