View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Antiderivative

Originally Posted by defyinggravity View Post
The American Medical Association (AMA) has recognized addiction as a disease since 1956.
The AMA recognized alcoholism as an illness in 1956, not a disease. It was recognized as a disease by the AMA in 1966

Make no mistake about it
That is your opinion. I disagree along with others. Take a look at the history of the disease concept. It was pushed by Marty Mann, the first woman in AA. She funded Dr. Jellinik who played an early and vital role in the disease concept. However, it turned out the Dr. Jellinik was a cheat who fabricated his degrees and education. During his time at Yale University, the University asked Jellinik to refute his own finding in his "The Stages of Alcoholism" since it didn't stand up to scientific scrutiny.

However, that didn't stop Mann and Jellinik to keep pushing their disease theory. They later formed a clandestine relationship with the head of the NIAAA, R. Brinkley Smithers, who would promoted and funded the disease concept. This is the same man who lobbied for and was responsible for gaining insurance coverage for patients in treatment (hence the 28 day program).

The disease concept mushroomed into a mutli-billion a year industry. As the industry grows and treats more people of their diseases, one would expect that this disease would have diminished overtime. Instead, more people have this disease than ever before. Clearly, something is fundamentally wrong here.

I am not arguing with you, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

At the end of the day, I really don't care what you call addiction. It is real. It is deadly. It is destructive, not only to the person who suffers from the addiction, but many others who cross paths with the addict.

I also have no problem using the "disease" concept as an analogy, as they did back in the old days of AA before the rehab speak of using a "diseases" was infiltrated during the 70's and 80's.