Thread: Checking in
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
gerryP

For the best part of my first year of sobriety I found the first thought when things weren't going well was to have a drink. That's what I always did so it was familiar. As time went on and I was learning to deal with the good, bad and ugly not thinking of a drink to numb myself became familiar and the norm. Now almost 6 six years later, I never think of having a drink when anything good, bad or ugly happens. I am too busy feeling the authenticity of what has happened to me that is good, or too busy feeling the pain or disappointment of what has happened that is bad/ugly and too busy kicking into damage control, considering what my choices are and plan of action is to resolve the matter. It will come Reggie as it seems to be starting with you. Life isn't easy, but I just roll with it now. I really don't take life as seriously because there is a 'lid for every pot'. I move on, but I give myself time to feel the emotions first. What I have also found is that life has a pattern. Things are goos, things are challenging and sometimes they are just plain horrible, but things constantly change.

ETA
When you drink, you put yourself in a state of inaction because you are not dealing with the problem and then you really have problems. I also shut the day down at bedtime, try to get a good sleep so I can pick up where I left off or be rested for a bright new day.

Glad to hear that you are feeling comfortable being you. Be patient with yourself, but keep pushing through it all. Think of yourself as a child who needs a little extra understanding for the time and give it to yourself. I used to think of myself as 'the problem child' and sometimes roll my eyes at myself (yeah, I know) and then find myself laughing at being a problem child dressed up as an adult.