Thread: Rock Bottom
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
nicam

Originally Posted by banisheggshells View Post
That night I knew. I knew I couldn't love him any more. My soul needed a partner who is honest and one who would at least try and be sober. About 4 months later was the actual dramatic exit, but my real bottom was that night.
Yeah, that's got to be big for all of us. Any healthy soul needs honesty, responsibility, respect, kindness, concern/consideration, emotional maturity, commitment, faithfulness, adequate coping mechanism, etc., from a partnership. We seem to get NONE of these basic needs met in relationships with addicts, receive abuse on top of it, and just KEEP ON giving despite it all until it destroys every aspect of our lives.

I think we hit rock bottom when we are so completely drained emotionally, psychologically, financially, physically, from giving our everything to someone and receiving nothing but blame, abuse, criticism, betrayal, etc., in return.

You realize that your big payout is NEVER going to come. You've been pumping all of your money into a slot machine that may payout small, insignificant jackpots along the way just to keep you coming back for more, and the game will continue until you are completely out of $$$.

Hey, the house always wins right? We are fighting really small statistical odds with these relationships.

And as far as "dramatic exits" go, I'm certainly feeling you there!