Thread: Rock Bottom
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
nicam

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Mine was far more subtle - nothing special - just another stupid conversation full of blame and projecting. Only this time I sat quietly, watching objectively, listening as he called me a passive-aggressive manipulator and a lair for the umpteenth time, and realized he has been talking about himself all this time. He's not describing me. Anyone else who knows me knows I am not those things. He's describing himself. He's throwing his baggage at me and expecting me to take it on so I can feel as bad inside as he does. And he was 40 days sober and attending AA. It was the realization that nothing is changing on his part, now its time to change it on my part. I deserve better than this; my daughters deserve better than this. Heck, the dogs deserve better than this. And I left that day. I don't miss those conversations.
Wow, this could be a page from my journal (except for the part about kids and dogs...that's got to complicate things on a whole other level). This is a very precise way of describing the dynamic between an addict and their partner.