Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

In my experience what matters is extreme honesty, especially regarding things that are uncomfortable. In another ten days time, who can say how you will feel about calling yourself an alcoholic? Sobriety is a process, not an event. Keep at it, with honesty, openess to all the possibilities (esp those to which you might have an initial aversion), and willingness. I have 17 months sobriety with the help of friends, most of whom are in AA, but not all. I don't beleive that any one path will work for everyone.

Which brings me to AA's step 2. I had probably five months sobriety when I began to accept and understand where and how a higher power fit into this for me. The second step says "came to believe..." - which to me says that many, if not all, did not start with an understanding and belief of their HP and how that impacts continued sobriety. So just stay open and willing to what will come to pass and the things you will learn along the way. And surround yourself with others on this journey on whom you can rely and trust when things get hairy. They always do eventually, but its never cause to drink if you have support.

Congrats on ten days, and best wishes for many more.