Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

Congratulations on your tenth day!!

I am in AA but even if I wasn't I would still have a recongnition of my higher power, my higher strength, if you will. For me, completely surrendering to the fact that I AM an alcoholic, I am at a loss of complete control at the site of the first drink and my life was an unmanagable chaos -helps me to keep alcohol out of my life.
You don't have to believe in God or you can -it is just what you feel you are comfortable with.
My beliefs stem from an inner strength, an inner will, an inner power of control that connects the sequence of life, the energy of life and the my desires in life to promote my well being and have me realize, recognize and take control over my actions.
Personally, I can not man this journey alone and need an inspiration to keep my thoughts connected to my path so I don't mentally wander. I need to stay focused on the prize.
Addiction is a wide spread spectrum when it comes to recovery although we all suffer no matter what addiction we face I think that 'chosing' your addiction is easier to focus on recovery. You can be addicted to anything...work, pain pills, cleaning, eating laundry soap, drinking soda...I have chosen to name my addiction to better connect myself with the feelings and emotions I need in that particular recovery. I consider myself to have an addictive behavior but even still need to narrow it down for sucessfull recovery.

There is a big difference between being powerless over alcohol and having the power to stop. I had to fully admit that alcohol was above me...it was my saviour. I was powerless...I had to believe that MY power could over power the power of the beast. If you just stop drinking you are not changing anything but not drinking. You are not changing your thinking about alcohol. You aren't changing your mind, just your habits.
Wishing you peace and strength.