View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nevertheless

Your dad is in the right place,he is in the hospital. There is not a whole lot more you can do. If you are an alcoholic your self I am sure you understand that. Nobody can be forced to quit. You HAVE to WANT it.
I have seen guys in jail for multiple years,and the minute they are out and have a chance to get away with it. Boom! Drunk again!
Nobody knows how your disease will progress. Mine stayed the same most of my life. I never drank before or at work. But at 5 Oclock I drank till I passed out. That went on for almost 30 years

My last detox I quit cold turkey. For the first week waking up with cold sweats,nightmares and break the glass cravings. It SLOWLY tapered off. I had also tried to quit many many many times. I knew most of the ways I failed.
I had aches in my legs for the first 6 months that were very painful. I have no idea what they were. I am not a doctor person and they completely went away. I work on my feet all day,and it was hell.
It was probably 3 or 4 months before I walked into a place that sold beer that I walked out and realized I didn't stare at the beer wanting to buy it. That was a true feeling of freedom for me.
My last really bad craving was at the 6 month mark. But I still had weaker ones after that. I have been sober a little over 2 years now.
I just have no clue what I was thinking all those years now that I have stopped. Alcohol puts the idea in your head that this is all just "normal". And it keeps on doing it for quite a while after you stop. Like I say, in order to stop YOU HAVE to WANT it. You have to be done with it.
I wish you the best.....
Fred