Thread: QUACKERs....
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
tinabanina

Originally Posted by Eight Ball View Post
AH: What sort of bloke do you think you will be able to find in Australia who doesn't drink - a church goer!
Me: That will be none of your business
Oh my, I am all to familiar with this one! He has never actually said it, but I just know he is thinking it. Drinking is so ingrained in the Australian way of life, the whole "you aren't a real bloke if you don't drink beer.."

Anyway, I have one quack quack quack conversation from recently. To put a backstory, my partner started going to AA recently, its been 2 maybe 3 weeks since he started going now.. and he's had some slips, but he is continuing to at least go to the meetings, so its a start for him in the right direction, which is good.

I had to condense it, because it went back and forth for the whole car ride home.. but this is the basic gist:

A: Hey, I just wanted to tell you, that I need to go up the coast to see enabler-friend. I'm not going to do anything, I'll leave my wallet here so I can't go and buy alcohol or drugs. But honestly, if you don't want me to go, I won't go.
Me: Look, I honestly don't think it is a good idea for you to go, since you have just started to attempt to make recovery, but I can't stop you. I don't want you to go, but the choice is yours to make, and I won't stop you if you really want to go and do go.
A: So I'm a prisoner in my own body? I can't do anything because everyone is so scared I will slip up? Are you telling me not to go?
Me: I'm not telling you to do anything. You know my opinion, but it is just my opinion and ultimately the choice is yours and I won't stop you.
A: Well I want you to tell me not to go if you don't want me to go.
Me: No, I won't tell you want to do. You make your own decision.
A: I don't want to! You need to tell me what I should do!

At this point he is starting to slur and throw a childish tantrum, so right then and there I knew he had been drinking. We were driving back home from his AA meeting and my Al-Anon meeting too.. haha oh well, you win some, you lose some.

My HP truly was watching over me that night, if I hadn't been to Al-Anon before that conversation happened, I would have lost my mind at him.