Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TD252

Opionions please: AW and her "friend" in rehab

My AW is scheduled to be out of rehab soon and has evidently developed a friendship with a married man in her small group. She said this friendship developed because they have so much in common. They even asked the counselor assigned to their group if they could exchange phone numbers and were told no. I was completely unaware of this situation until recently at Family Day. During our meeting with her small group she told him she loved him (right in front of me) and he said the same thing back to her. Afterwards she got a pass to go eat lunch. At lunch she asked me if that bothered me that she had said that. Also at lunch, while I was gone to the restroom, she used her cellphone (which I had brought along in case she wanted to call anyone) to try to look up the contact information for her "friend".

That evening when I was at home, I was cleaning stuff out of my vehicle and noticed that her phone was flashing that it had a text message. Assuming it was from her boss or one of her friends that were trying to contact her while she was on pass, I turned her screen on and the google search of the "friend" popped up. Needless to say, the next time we talked on the phone we had it out and I was very clear about how I felt about the situation. She told me it was nothing, that I was having an irrational reaction, that she loved me and that she would never talk to him again. However, last night while we were talking, she tried to tell me this "funny story" about her friend at which point I cut her off completely.

So, my question is: Am I right to be really concerned about this situation?