View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mida
...is learning and growing...

Excellent, OklaBH!

So glad things are going well and that you've found what works. Key for me has been acknowledging the importance of changing how I go about my days and it seems it was the same for you as well...funny that appears to be a common thread among those who succeed.

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
I wanted my regular life minus the alcohol. Alcohol was such a major part of my life and I didnt realize it. I had to change A LOT of people, places, things.
I love this and it's so so true. It's impossible (crazy?!) to keep doing what we've always been doing but expecting to do it sober. There's a reason why we hear "if nothing changes, nothing changes" around recovered folks so often... but it takes a huge amount of humility or a REALLY low bottom to accept that we are not unique and special and somehow different. Luckily for me, it was the former when I was finally ready to recognize/accept that I am an alcoholic and was fortunate enough to have the collective wisdom of the millions who have come before me and benefit from their experience, strength and hope.

Thanks for the inspiration and best of luck on your journey