View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OklaBH

Thank you for all the Support

I have been in recovery since January. Everyday is a new day. I KNEW to my core I needed to get sober. I thought "just dont drink, Im done, Easy" That lasted maybe 3 days. I wanted my regular life minus the alcohol. Alcohol was such a major part of my life and I didnt realize it. I had to change A LOT of people, places, things. I fought like hell to not get outside support. Members on SR pushed me and pushed me to JUST GO TO A MEETING! LOL I didnt want to go to AA or see a therapist. That was really stupid. First off...I ask for help for simple things. If Im overwhelmed at work I give an assignment to another girl, if my car breaks down I call tripleA, if Im sick i go to the Dr, if Im having a cookout I call a friend and ask them to bring ice.....So why did I think that something as HUGE as alcoholism I could handle myself??

Now, I attend AA meetings, see a therapist and have quite a few sober friends I can call and truly depend on. I have skipped a few events to attend meetings. i declined an invitation to a wedding where there was an open-bar at the reception. The people survived. No one died because I wasnt there. I take a longer route to work so I can pray. I dont go to lunch with coworkers. I never attend happy hour (it never ended happy for me) I use the 5 minute rule when talking to certain people. I read SR all the time! I keep it on my phone and its my life line.

Im slowly but surely obtaining a new sober life. I love it! I will fight like he!! to keep sober. Remembering what happened the night before is never to be taken for granted.

Thank you very much!