View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
theatredork

Hello - go to the meeting and you'll likely feel better. Read the Promises of AA (pages 83-84 of the Big Book) and it should help you see what you can look forward to. There are also other recovery groups that could have meetings in your area - SMART recovery, Wome for Sobriety, Moderation Management are a few I've heard of. Search for Addiciton Recovery Groups online and you'll come up with some Wikipedia articles. Also I dont' knwo if you already did this, but search for an Intergroup for your area (I see you are in Florida - not sure where you are, but I found a Central Florida intergroup, northeast Florida intergroup and South Florida intergroup). You can also see if there is an Alano Club in your area (probably for the County or the city). They often host meetings and have programs. Finally, when you go to a meeting tonight, ask people there - they usually know the most and can make recommendations.

I also see a therapist every week or two weeks and did an intensive outpatient program, where I went 3 evenings a week for 3 hours each day to a group (lasted 5 weeks). Of course there are also inpatient rehabs, but it depends on your situation - personal, severity and financial. The therapy, AA meetings and antidepressants for anxiety are all helping me stay sober and are part of my plan for the long term.

You can do it. One, don't drink today. Don't worry about tomorrow for now. You can worry about tomorrow tomorrow. Two, keep coming back - to AA, here, therapy, whatever - no matter what happens. Keep coming back.

And welcome to the site. Let us know how the meeting goes.