View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
naive

a few more thoughts...

certainly, remove all alcohol from the house, as well as any prescription drugs.

make an "emergency exit" bag and keep it in your car. in it, have what you would need if you and the kids need to flee in a minute. i hope you don't need to use it, but i did and i was glad to have it.

you will need the p.o. box so that he can't get to your mail (with confidential banking nunbers, cc numbers, whatever) on it. yes, a hassle but worth it. mine intercepted my birthday cards and took the money out of them.

put combination locks on things. i started locking my shed and my bicycle, as he was always away with my tools and my bike, never to be seen again.

learn how to disable the car. for my car, i just needed to pull two fuses out housed with the battery to disable the car. pop them back in when i needed to drive, pull them out when i needed to leave the car with him about.

change your passwords on all accounts. change your pins. erase your browsing history on the internet or use mozilla firefox as your webbrowser and operate in privacy mode where no history is ever stored. add a startup password for your system.

do not leave your mobile phone lying about, it's easy to pawn or snoop into your business.

remove personal things, which might have no value, but are important to you, like photos and stuff. i would render a bet that he will become angry and might try to destroy things that you want, perhaps while drunk.

stop buying things he likes to eat. mine was a meat and potato's man. i switched to vegetables and fish. he liked black tea with milk. i stopped buying it. i stopped doing his laundry, did only mine. i made no issue of any of this, i just silently started.

don't underestimate an addict with no money. they will bleed you dry if you give them the opportunity.