View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sykoeve

Hi, Im new here. Im ready to be sober

Hi, I am 33 years old. In 2007 I had open Gastric Bypass surgery (weightloss surgery). Before surgery we were warned of transfer addiction. And I was pretty sure I wouldn't have this problem.
Well one time about 2 years ago we (my room mate and I) went out with some friends to a club and I had a watered down smirnoff. Then another time camping I had some watered down beers. Then a few mixed drinks.
A year ago I started drinking heavily. On my own. And it went down there from there. Mostly it was on weekends though. I don't work, on disability for lung disease. So Im home alone during the days.

I am happy with my life, I really don't know if I have any stress really. The bills get paid, we have food in the fridge. We have a little extra money in our pockets. I really do love my life. So I am not sure why I started drinking. I know if I knew a bottle was coming, I would have this sort of high feeling. And then sneaking a drink wondering if my room mate would walk in was sort of a high as well.

In a typical friday night I could down a 750ml bottle of vodka and if I was lucky enough, another one on saturday. At the worst I did 3 in 2 days but that only happened a few times. Didn't like the horrible dt's the next few days.

I guess it got even worse last weekend, to the point that Monday I called a therapist and told them what was going on and that I needed to find out exactly why I have this feeling to drink, because I can't figure it out myself. So maybe talking to someone else who doesn't know me can help me get to the root of this. I have to do this for myself, I am only 33 and already at high risk for so many problems because of my weightloss surgery.

Thanks for listening and thanks for letting me join your forum and I hope to pretty active and maybe in the future I will be able to help someone else who is just starting this new journey.