View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mightyqueen801

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
I don't know why, but I LOVE Elton John's song, "I Want Love." (I have my iPod on shuffle and it just came up) I really think the lyrics speak to the danger of the codie pendulum swinging too far the other way--we get so broken down by a damaging love of one kind that we look for another kind of damaging love--from soul-sucking love to meaningless love--

My brother was in his teens when Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" came out. We were both CoAs--He LOVED that song. He didn't realize the lyrics were meant to be cautionary--he was seeking that kind of emotional-less life after having been ignored as a middle child of an alcoholic father who had no time for him.

So, this Elton John song is so sad, but somehow connects with how I feel on my bad days.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Here are Elton John's lyrics:

Wow, just wow. And not just because I can't understand how I love Elton John and don't know that song. (But I do have a "best of" Simon and Garfunkel CD in my car, and "I Am A Rock" resounds with me so much it's depressing.

But I looked at the site just now because that's how I feel. I once asked my then-therapist to tell me how to STOP wanting love, since it is not something I will ever be able to have, and he just laughed and said that's impossible because it's human nature to desire to be loved, no matter what.

I'm 52 years old, and I just picture this long, bleak emptiness for the next 20 years or so until it's time for the dirt nap. It would be nice not to feel anything.