Thread: Trial
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
NDBT- I feel like I am playing a game of cat and mouse a bit. AH's lawyer is a shark -- a criminal defense lawyer and divorce lawyer. I don't really want AH to know or sense that I have filed until the trial is over bc I fear what his lawyer might try and do (the prosecutor told me to be prepared to be all but attacked on the stand by his lawyer). If I file BEFORE the trial I feel like it gives his lawyer extra incentive to tear me apart for the sake of custody issues. If I let the trial be done and over and THEN file I think that might be better. I guess my plan is to file the week after the trial. I have an appt with a new lawyer on Thurs morning. It's a woman I got the name of from the State DV Coalition. I assume therefore she is familiar with unpleasant family law issues...
IMO, you're right about waiting till after the trial to file custody proceedings. Just expect more crap from his enablers about "kicking him when he's down"...I don't want to sound discouraging but I forsee yet another backlash when you start to make a move towards freeing yourself from him.

Let us know how the new lawyer is...