View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
LaFemme

Humans are highly social animals. We’re not meant to suvive, let alone thrive, in isolation. Relationships stimulate our brains—in fact, interacting with others may be the best kind of brain exercise. - azureseas in another thread.

Yesterday was Easter and although I went to Church and for a walk with a friend I was mostly alone. I set the table nicely and made a braised lamb shank, root vegetables and a healthy salad. I lit the candles and poured a nice glass of ginger and tonic. I gave thanks and chewed slowly and enjoyed my food. It still only took me 15 minutes to eat my dinner.

I haven't taken a survey but I think the people who preach being comfortable by your self here on SR usually have spouses and families. I am pretty comfortable in my own skin, but that doesn't mean I enjoy being alone. Humans are social creatures, we aren't meant to live alone.

I know drinking won't make the being alone better so the trick is to find a way not to be alone. They say wait a year before starting new relationships, and I agree up to a point, had the right person come along in the past 9 months I would not have put off a relationship.

The truth is I would like to meet someone now and get on with my life. I spend too much time on SR because I don't get enough social time in real life. The problem is I don't know how to go about meeting someone, truth is I wasn't so hot at it when I drank either.

I know about online sites but I haven't had any luck with them. I work 2 jobs that are both pretty solitary, and I live in a town where most people are married with kids. All my friends are married with kids and although I have asked, no one knows anyone single to introduce me to.

So, what to do?