Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
CanfixONLYme

Awesome thread - really. Everyone's loved one seems very special and my anger towards drugs and alcohol increases with every keystroke I make... how much addiction has destroyed so many lives and happiness. It's just not fair. sigh.

My husband Chris:
(when he is of sound mind and is sober he is):

1. Amazingly kind... holding doors open, drawing me baths, making me tea, listening to my fears and making me feel safe.

2. Has a heart of platinum (is more valuable than gold, no? - ) - He would literally give his shirt off his back to a random stranger. If someone needs help doing something he's there to do it. He always wants to do more than he's capable of (a downside because this is what starts his stress and addiction).

3. He's a very quiet person, contemplative and observant. He loves to watch movies, play digital yatzee with me, loves to read the bible and is a joy to watch at a church service.

4. He loves his family and our kitties to bits.

5. He's handsome, dark hair, long eyelashes, gorgeous smile with a nice bum ... he takes great care in his appearance. He seems to be vain (he is at times), but he has a very endearing vulnerability... of wanting to 'belong' and 'be liked'... -which just breaks my heart.

6. He was a junior champion golf player when he was a teen (thus, he's very talented at golfing - got a scholarship to go play down in the US. Of course drugs/alcohol became his 'golf' and he never went further than that. - However... he takes pride in this accomplishment and I've seen him play once last year. He was amazing... just simply amazing. I could tell he was proud I was very impressed.

I see these things and feel that they are reasons for me to stay... he's like a child who just can't seem to find the right door to walk through to grow up and he looks upon the world after every relapse (and brief recovery) with new eyes, new hope and energy to start a 'new life'.

I just wish it would finally stick for good.