Thread: Binge Eating
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

I've never really considered myself an alcoholic, but a problem drinker. When it comes to marijuana, I am most definitely an addict. Once I take that first hit, you better watch out because it I can't get more, I'm gonna take yours and do whatever I need to do to get more. With alcohol I could go out and drink socially without getting hammered just fine. The problem would come up when I decided I wanted to get drunk, which I would do at home, alone. I binge eat in much the same way.

I would only drink abusively at night, same with the binge eating. Of course the eating doesn't have the same effect on me, but it seems like it is something to do with filling up an empty space inside of me, both emotionally and physically. When I was young, and still to this day, my mother would make cookies or fix food for me when I was feeling bad. I have dealt with depression for 30 of my 42 years and this was the only way she knew to help make me feel better. I'm not blaming her for anything, it's just how things are. So, for me, I think there is more involved than just liking the food. I will eat to the point of being uncomfortable. I would probably be bulimic except I really hate throwing up, though there were many a hung over morning that I did anyway.

I've been doing a bit better with it since I started this thread, though tonight I stuffed myself with a whole bag of microwave popcorn, with extra butter, even though I had a huge lunch and wasn't hungry in the least. At the same time I have to look at the whole picture. I've been clean and sober for about 5 weeks now and I can only take on so many "issues" at a time, but it is definitely something I want to keep an eye on and work on. Take care.