View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Relapse is part of alcoholism. Not recovery.
I have friends who recovered, relapsed, and got serious and have 30 years sobriety under their belt. I also have friends who recovered, were sponsors, relapsed, and lost everything.

It's all in the actions. I would be concerned about someone who rationalizes a relapse.

Me too (the bold part). And I've been concerned about someone who refers to repeated "slips" as just that. Slips. He's been in and out of outpatient rehab since Nov and has not yet strung together any long period of sobriety (4 weeks max). And yet in his mind bc none of the "slips" since Jan have been major, day long benders or in his mind interfered with his day to day functioning (his perception and mine are clearly different) he doesn't see that he's relapsed.

Relapsing for him is having days long drinking binges and having something awful happen as a result (law involvement, car accident, physical injury to himself etc...) Evidently throwing his marriage away and hurting his kids isn't "awful" enough for him to see what he's done is relapsing.

Whatever. His life to throw away- not my problem anymore. I really was just curious for my own perspective and appreciate everyone's responses...