Thread: passages
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post
Just to comment on the SomethingBetter's post- if I recall correctly the father/son commercial claims to have a 'cure' for alcoholism. I have a friend who's parents put him in passages in somewhere (not L.A.) and it ran like $40,000+. He said it was fun to have a dedicated acupuncturist, psychiatrist, fitness coach, etc.

Then he got out and joined AA.

I guess my personal belief is that these people feed off of the idea that you can actually 'cure' yourself of drug addiction or alcoholism. I have yet to meet a real addict or alcoholic who claims they are cured. I see danger in this approach and it feels as though they are just making $$ off of the pain and misery of others while offering a something that most of believe is untrue (a cure).

Now, I haven't read the book and perhaps it's a good read. But then so is the Big Book, the little Red Book, Living Sober, and whole slew of others. The difference is none of them tell you that you'll be cured. If their book claims you can be cured, I'd be inclined to feel it's probably more dangerous than useful. Just my humble opinion, and again, that's without reading the book. Maybe I'll ask my friend if I can borrow his :-P
Keeping my mind open to other's comments I had the same thought as you Swan. I've never 'heard' of a cure. I'm sure if there was a cure they'd be all over the map and could give AA a run for their money.
Joining AA would contradict everything your friend learned for that 40 grand. I woud be curious why he felt the need to continue with AA if he was cured.
Hmm...inquiry minds...LOL