View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by shantra32 View Post
Why did/do we think it was so great?
This is an incredibly pertinent question, and in my experience, gets to the real nature of alcoholism.

Why, after experiencing the
Originally Posted by shantra32 View Post
moments of pure joy and thankfulness, feel happiness that I have not felt in many, many years. I feel in control of my life and when I think of drinking now, it has no appeal to me.
would anyone ever go back to drinking?

Yet, any look at this forum, any treatment program followup, or the rooms of AA, reveals that many, many alcoholics do just that. They go back to drinking after some number of months sober where they experienced a much happier and fulfilling life. Who would choose this? You'd have to be insane to make this choice, wouldn't you?

But, everyday, we see someone do exactly that. When I examined my own drinking, and my seemingly endless cycle of short term relief and relapse, I had to take a real hard look at just how much power I really had to not pick up that drink. I could find a hundred reasons and a hundred excuses, but the bottom line was that after a time of a much better life, I still picked a drink up. In spite of things being so much better. In spite of anything.