View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

I understand in the Big Book that the family is to allow the alcoholic in recovery the license to make mistakes and to not expect too much and so on... but that chapter on "wives" really gets me some days. Especially since it seems to be more of the same "walk on eggshells to protect the fragile little person" and continue to stuff your needs, thoughts,opinions, feelings down. It makes me look at myself and say "why, tuffgirl, are you interested in this person at all? you wouldn't accept this behavior from anyone else in your life, why him?"

Because I still haven't truly found acceptance. That is a daily process, not a destination. I had a mental image of marriage in my head, and my head is still struggling to wrap itself around the reality of today and the ideal I was working off of for 4 years.

I found a quote in Courage to Change II that I am going to carry around with me for a while; thought I'd share it here today:

"...when we long for life without...difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure" Peter Marshall

Today looks to be a much better day..thanks SR friends!