View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
shantra32

Why did/do we think it was so great?

I'm 110 days sober and well into feeling great about my sobriety. I found that the first month, I was in withdrawals, sick and had no interest for alcohol; I was depressed alot. The second month was hard for me because the horrors of boozing were not so fresh in my mind. I was bargaining with myself - " Well maybe I can drink when......." You know the deal ......the third month was somewhat similar than the second but to a much lesser degree. In my fourth month, all is clear. I have moments of pure joy and thankfulness. I feel happiness that I have not felt in many, many years. I feel in control of my life and when I think of drinking now, it has no appeal to me. I know how easy sobriety can be lost ; I take it day by day. When I feel sad or anxious, I know it is just a feeling and it will pass. For anyone trying to get sober, believe me when I say that I KNOW the first couple of months suck royally but when you get past that, it's pretty awesome. It really is......alcoholism is so exhausting and draining on every level. It robs you of your dreams and your ability to succeed. It kills your spirit and your body. It solves nothing and destroys everything. Sobriety gives you back everything that you lost; it really is a wonderful place to be. I hope everyone is having a great day!